Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Looking for a New Home.

I'm writing this entry purely out of spite for everyone who keeps telling me I never blog anymore. Well, HaHA! I am blogging now. What? Huh? That's right - I blogged, so you got nothin' to say to me about it. =P

Let's see - What's new with Amy.

Our landlord decided she misses New Orleans and is coming back, which means we're getting the boot. Apartment hunting here, has all kinds of special New Orleans considerations: Will water come in the door if it rains really hard? Is the wood the old termite resistant kind or will I step through the floor one morning on my way to the bathroom? Did the owner put up new drywall after Katrina or just paint over the water stains?

I'm convinced there exists on every realtor's desk, a bell curve that relates every property's affordability, to it's proximity to "the hood". Every other house is "shotgun" style, meaning every room is lined up in a row, and you end up walking through your roommate's room to pee at 3 in the morning.

Don't get me wrong. There is no shortage of available properties here in NOLA. Apartment hunting is only a bitch if you have standards. If you don't care about your health, safety or indoor plumbing - There are plenty of spacious, gutted out, moldy Katrina houses with rent/sale signs outside, available by the hundreds.

I will say - It is nice to have roommates right now. New Orleans is not as immune to the economy as we were last year. It's nice to share rent and bills and food with other people, and especially nice to have a little community away from home that can help out when things are hard, or money is tight, or you live in the murder-capital of the country and you don't want to be alone in a house at night.

I think if this economy gets much worse - you'll see a lot more people living the way we do. Families sharing houses; Individuals going in on places together. It makes everyone's life a little easier; a little less lonely.

1 comment:

mom said...

I know a quaint little house in Texas where a couple of people could stay for pretty cheap rent, maybe a little yard duty.