Sunday, September 30, 2007

Free Market Jesus

I just listened to a really interesting lecture by Donald Miller called "Free Market Jesus". It's all about how we use our free market/consumer driven mindset to interpret scripture, and how really this interpretation cheapens, and even destroys, a much more beautiful message.

It is such a relief to hear someone else with a similar mindset towards modern Christianity. I have yet to find the faith described in scripture, embraced by modern "Christians". And frankly, the constant bastardization of eternal truths, that are truly beyond beautiful, is completely demoralizing and frustrating.

Anyway - Here's a link to a bunch of his lectures, if anyone's interested. He's really sarcastic, honest and challenging. It's definitely worth checking out, but only if you can let go of your preconceived ideas, and look at scripture with a fresh mind. I think for those of us who grew up in the church, that's often easier said than done.

I'll also go ahead and recommend the one on the Relational Dynamic of the Gospel. I haven't listened to it, but he came to my college campus a few years ago, and I heard him speak on this topic. The basic idea is that we are reading a love letter (scripture) like a technical manual. If you can understand how modern Christians mis-interpret scripture... It's like pulling away a veil between you and God.

1 comment:

Grandma said...

I'll check it out - I've been reading "Velvet Elvis" which is also a book on reframing Christianity... very thought provoking. I'm listening and searching - glad you are too. You should read "Addicted to Mediocrity" also...