Wednesday, January 24, 2007

These Views Are My Own, And Do Not Reflect Those of My Organization

Damn Hollywood and damn politicians. The Leitenant Governer of Louisiana came to visit our site today, but not because of the huge strides we've made in recovery, and not because we've mobilized thousands of volunteers to aid in disaster work...

Because soap opera stars from Guiding Light were "volunteering" at Hands On today. There should be a seperate word for volunteering when celebrities, politicians, and corporate folks do it. "Basking in the glow of feaux philanthropy", "taking credit for other people's labor", or maybe the best description would be "staging scenes that look like volunteering and taking alot of pictures".

I'm sick of it. I'm sick of cameras and prissy celebrities who need their own special t-shirts printed to commemorate their service. And I'm especially sick of other people drooling all over them. There are so many people in this place that are genuinely impressive. Like volunteers who come without cameras and do dirty, disgusting work for 8 hours a day and sleep in a bunk bed and eat peanut butter; Or residents of a city, who celebrate in their sorrows, and who refuse to be emotionally defeated despite the worst circumstances, and little support from the rest of their country.

Why is it that our society is so easily impressed with celebrity? Why is someone impressive, simply because their face is on TV? I don't get it.

And I don't want to have anything to do with it.

1 comment:

singsforyou said...

Amy-I agree 100% with you. It's weird and ridiculous when the stars come out to "volunteer". I felt weird that I had to get my crew out of the bunkhouse to make room for the soapopera catered lunch. My crew only had 15 minutes to eat their lunch before heading out to the second job of the day. It pissed me off that I had to put on the face of the positive team leader and tell my crew to hurry up and eat on the way to the job site (because we aren't as important?)