Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Thirty

Today is my 30th Birthday.

I recently saw an interview, wherein a woman in her sixties described her life in "three acts", 0-30, 30-60, 60-X.  In those terms, I've just finished the first third of my life.  



I think I've reached an age, where birthdays feel like a count-down instead of a count up.  In the back of my mind is always the sense that the time I've been allotted is slipping like sand through my fingers.  


Having said that, I feel pretty good about how I spent the last decade.  In my twenties, I graduated from college, I joined AmeriCorps and volunteered full time for 10 months, I met and married my husband, and I spent four years rebuilding a great American city.

I lived in 8 different cities*, experienced a "real Northern winter", visited the Atlantic, Pacific and Gulf coasts, and became a decent cook.  I experienced the high highs (and woeful lows) of being in love.  I learned how to advocate for myself in a work setting, and I learned a lot about what makes me happy.

Not sure what else a girl can ask out of 10 years.  Here's to the next decade and my second act.

*
Austin, Charleston, Jackson, Key West, New Orleans, Pensacola, Denton and Philadelphia

No comments: