Sunday, July 02, 2006

Life After Americorps

I've been putting this off, because I keep feeling like, after such a profound experience, I should have something really profound to say... But I don't, so here we go.

Americorps is over. I am back in Texas, and just waiting for the culture-shock to wear off.

Everything here right now centers around "the wedding". If you've ever had someone close to you get married, or if you've seen Bridezillas on tv, then you know that weddings give people the ultimate excuse to indulge their materialistic leanings. After a year of living an almost monastic life-style, I find all the concerns over registries, showers, flower arrangements, etc., ... abrasive, to say the least.

More than the life-style though, I am really missing the people. It's hard to get used to not seeing, talking to, eating with, working with, fighting with the eight other people I've called family for the last 10 months. It's wierd waking up alone every morning... wierd to not know every detail of these people's days.

Right now, it's hard for me to imagine myself living in this environment again. I don't know if that's the culture shock talking, or if I'm a completely different person than I used to be. It's so hard to tell. I'm looking forward to moving back to New Orleans, where ironically, I think things will feel a little more 'normal'.

On the happier side of things... I'm so excited for my sister. She's ecstatic to be getting married. And sticking around for the wedding gives me lots of time to spend with my beautiful nieces.

And, just so that it's officially been summized in my blog:

My 10 months with the NCCC were absolutely incredible. It was probably the best year of my life. There aren't even words... which is why I haven't tried to write this yet, and why I'm failing now. I'll never think of service, look at people, or live my life in the same way again.

1 comment:

Abel Keogh said...

Glad your back and that it was a good experience.