Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Back in NOLA...

Diving head-first into the crazy again. Spent the day at Mother-in-Law's lounge painting with some kids from New York City. Had to be careful not to get any paint on the mannikin of her dead husband that Ms. Antoinette keeps in the lounge, talks to, pushes around in a wheel chair, and eats out with on occasion.
--

The first day here was so so surreal. The first person I saw when I got to base was Chet. He took me outside to show me where he had put up the sign I made him. One of the neighbors saw it, and made him a matching t-shirt. I'll have to post a picture of it here next time I upload photos. It was good to see him.

Anyway, the first night here was beyond my ability to describe, so I'll just say this:

Within 4 hours of arriving in New Orleans, I had already: hugged chet, gotten into an argument about PPE, sang save tonight, seen rebirth live, listened to Ryan (the guy who taught me to gut, who was kicked out of Hands On Biloxi, and who is now back to work with Hands On New Orleans) sing a song about how all his heroes are cowboys, been pressured by Kristin to make out with strangers, been man-handled by an old man at a bar, and heard Kenda say 'i'm never drinking again'.

All the quintessential New Orleans experiences... right out of the gate.

No comments: