So we found out what our first assignment will be today.
We're going to spend seven days (October 18-24) setting up, running, and taking down the Charleston Garden Festival. Here's the work plan from our project overview:
1. Create the Charleston Garden Festival site: Work under the supervision of the Volunteer Coordinator; it involves construction, fabrication, hauling materials, etc.
2. Help in the vendor area, among other tasks, providing customer assistance.
3. Assist the Low Country Children't Museum and Charleston Garden Festival volunteers with activities in the Children's Area.
4. Assist in the creation, upkeep and breakdown of the Book Store.
5. Assist with the Vignette gardens, artists, exhibit gardens.
6. Assist with special events where requested.
7. Assist with the exit survey.
8. Facilitate the Breakdown of the Garden Festival site.
The garden we'll be holding the festival in is the oldest landscaped garden in America. Apparently, about 7000 people attend this festival every year. So that's "the skinny" as they say.
I have to say, it's really difficult only knowing where you will be a couple of weeks at a time. Especially, since alot of the other units already know where they will be until Christmas. Also, this is one of those projects, where it's harder to see who you are benefiting with your service (aside from the Horticultural Society of course).
But it's only seven days, and I'm trying to keep a really positive attitude. We have alot of high strung people on our team, and I feel like they absorb stress and run with it. This situation is really stressful, but everyone seems to do better, when a few people are being really positive. Moods are contagious.
I guess that's all for now. I'll keep you posted! --amy