Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Swing Dancing!

I went swing dancing last night at this dance studio. For $5 you get a lesson and then get to stay for a dance afterwards. It was awesomely fun. Tons of Americorps people went, and most of them had never done it before, so for once I felt ahead of the curve.

As usual, I spent most of the time laughing at my un-coordination. At one point I accidentally danced with a dance instructor, so that was humiliating! But it's all part of the fun.

As an interesting side note, my team leader, who coordinated the outing, can dance like nobody's business. Seriously, seriously good. It was really fun, and I think I'll go again next time.
---

Today we had our first formal debrief in front of the director, and our unit leader, and other intimidatingly important folk. We had to give them an overview of the Habitat project we just completed, and then they asked us questions, and we had to talk about the value of the project to NCCC. Scary.

Later today, I have training in "Mass Care", i.e. how to run a post-disaster shelter. I'm kindof excited. Especially because usually during these trainings, they pull out this really old Red Cross instructional video featuring Billy Baldwin, and cheesy 80's graphics.

Seriously though, it's awesome to get so much free education. Alot of the Red Cross certifications we're getting are good for life, or until they change the manual. This program is really amazing education wise.
---

That's all for now! I've got tons of stuff to work on. Talk to everyone soon, I hope.

HAPPY DAY AFTER YOUR BIRTHDAY, MARY!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun! and remember you have genetic coding for dancing... just concentrate on those maternal genes. Saw Mary's blog - does Lara have one? Very cool to 'check in' on your lives...LYM ...mom

Anonymous said...

Way to go dancing! Sounds like its not too bad there. Tell me when they do a DDR night and how you stomp them all.

Lara said...

Very cool about the dancing. I want to find a place like that in Dallas. Any ideas?

Anonymous said...

Dancing! Wooooo! I am so happy, (Insert clappy happy dance here) I can't wait to see you dance!

Lara, yes there is a Swing Dance scene in the big D.

Here are the links to the dallas swing society and the Fort worth one
http://www.dsds.org/

http://fwsds.org/

Go Dancing!

Abel Keogh said...

sounds like you're having a good time!