Monday, September 20, 2004

Step One: this is going to be harder than I thought.

The day after this experiment officially began, I was running out the door on my way to church, when I remembered my old roomate, Heather. She was always at least a half hour late to everything, largely because of her extensive beauty rituals.

The bathroom counter we shared had enough lathers, lotions, powders and brushes to cure the dermatological ails of a small nation. A guy friend of ours believed for several years that her eyelids were "naturally sparkely".

So I was faced with my first dilemma. "Getting ready," for most girls, involves more than putting on shoes and finding a set of keys. However, after five minutes of digging through my closet trying to sort my clothes by "girliness," I was quickly overwhelmed, and realized the following:

1. If I try to do this all at once, I'll likely lose my mind.

2. I'm going to need to do some research.

I decided to try wearing a little make-up to church. After all, most girls do that every day, right? It seemed like a good place to start, so I threw on some powder and blush (which coincidentally is all the make-up I own) and traded out my grungy t-shirt for another grungy t-shirt: this one a little more fitted, and headed out the door.

I didn't notice any initial affects on my social standing. I did have a really flirtatious waiter at IHOP, but this is a scientific venture, and I'm going to have to file waiters, whose flirtation often determines their pay, under tainted data.

No comments: